Colruyt Group has undertaken to only use free-range eggs in its own brand products by the end of 2012. The retailer has succeeded in this undertaking for 95 %.
Colruyt Group has undertaken to only use free-range eggs in its own brand products by the end of 2012. This concerns more than 1.000 products that are sold at Colruyt, OKay and Spar Retail, ranging from mayonnaise to meat products such as hamburgers and salads.
By the end of 2012, Colruyt Group has as good as realised its undertaking. 95 % of the store brand products that contain eggs are made with free-range eggs. The other 5 % consists at present of smaller and local suppliers and products that hardly contain any eggs. Eventually, customers will be able to read what type of eggs have been used in the production on every packaging.
Colruyt Group has already stopped selling battery-cage eggs since 2005 and thus took a seven-year head start. These traditional battery-cage systems have been prohibited since the beginning of 2012 by a European law. The group consciously went further than the legal minimum requirement by opting for eggs of chickens that live in free-range barns or runs.